Saturday, February 8, 2014

Where Have You Been Tammy?

So here I am again after about 7 months absence. I didn't stitch hardly any at all last year. I did a stocking and a Christmas present for a friend at work. I didn't even bother to take pictures of them.

In June I spent a week at work doing common core stuff, then we had baseball, and summer conditioning at 6 AM every morning. Let me just start by saying that I am not a morning person, so getting up at 5:30am every day except Friday was not my idea of a summer break. That problem will be solved this summer as he will be able to drive legally.

August brought on our first experience with high school football. J got to play quite a bit of junior varsity and during the playoffs he got to suit up with the varsity, but not play. Football became like a part time job helping feed the team, cooking pasta for 55 big boys and making cinnamon rolls for them. Then going all the way to the state championship game took up our fall, right up until the Saturday after Thanksgiving. By then Christmas was breathing down our necks.

I finally got time to take a breath over Christmas to start stitching again. Below are pictures of what I have accomplished since I returned to stitching. I was going to make the Santas into a quilt, but have pretty given up that idea and decided that I will make them into ornaments. Since deciding this I looked at Vonna's Twisted Stitcher blog to see that she is cross-stitching them and doing ornaments. I am thinking that she has done hers in such an elegant, simple way I might just copy her. Isn't there an old saying about imitation being the highest form of flattery? I got on 1-2-3 Stitch tonight and ordered the Santas that I was missing from what they had for sale. I am still plugging away on my Christmas at HRH, I am coming close to finishing the square featured below.

For ten years I was a farm wife working full time and had a lot of free time in the summers when Dan was working morning to night. Then we finally got the baby that we had wishing, hoping, and praying for and I was a stay at home mom for five years. Both of these periods of my life allowed for a lot of stitching time. Then I went back to work being a mom, wife, and full time employee and the stitching time was hard to come by. Now we are entering the phase of the boy being so much more independent and able to drive I am starting to get a little of that free time back.

3 comments:

Brigitte said...

So nice to see you back. Your Santa stitching is going great, I love all the Prairie Schooler Santas and also stitch at least one per month this year for a PS santa ornament tree. I hope I'll stick to it.

Judy said...

I love the Santa! Maybe I'll pull out a project and work on it - only been about two years since I've stitched, and goodness knows I need a distraction or two or ten right now.

stitchin schoolmarm said...

Glad to be back Brigitte, I have sixteen of the Santa's I am not really looking to find all of them. But I do enjoy doing them.
Judy, I teach middle school (as you probably know), and after a day of kids and work with kids, husbands and their needs my cross-stitch just gives me the quiet time I need. Teachers have to have a hobby besides lesson plans and grading papers. I understand your frustrations with returning to work full time and all that goes with it. I am have been thinking about you.