Sunday, December 5, 2010

Applesauce Cake In a Jar

Yes, ladies and gentlemen the Stitchin Schoolmarm does bake from time to time. This little project makes wonderful Christmas gifts and gives your home a nice spicy smell of Christmas while baking. I am trying to channel my inner pioneer woman and show you some baking pics, however, in my efforts to just get this project done I did not take pictures of the entire procedure, but perhaps the recipe below will help explain.



Here is my oh-so-serious model holding up the final product!



See how easily it slides out of the jar!



Slicing for eating! The best part!

I got this from a friend, who got her copy from a friend. You will need wide mouth canning jars with rings and flats as you will seal the bread in the jar as if you were canning.

2/3 cup shortening (I use butter flavor Crisco)
2 2/3 cups of sugar
4 eggs
2 cups of applesauce (I don't think it matters if you use sweetened or unsweetened)
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cloves
2/3 cups of water
2 tsp soda
2/3 cups nuts (optional)
8- 1-pint wide mouth canning jars

Cream shortening with sugar. Beat in eggs, applesauce and water. Sift dry ingredients together. Blend in dry ingredients into the applesauce mixture. Pour into well- greased jars, filling 1/2 go 2/3 full. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove 1 jar at a time, wipe seal edge clean, and put on dry canning lid and ring. If the cake has risen higher than the jar slice off the top of the cake and seal. Screw the ring on tightly. Sit upside down to cool. Put a little fabric cap and ribbon on the top and give as a tasty Christmas gift.

I have found that if you butter the jar instead of using Pam it makes the cake look a little prettier. I usually melt the butter and then coat the inside of the jar with a silicone pastry brush. Also the fatter and squattier(if that is a word) wide mouth canning jars work better in the oven, and are easier to balance on your oven racks. You shouldn't try to bake this on a baking sheet as it doesn't turn out as well as the baking sheet interferes with the heat distribution. Caution husbands and children not to run and make heavy footsteps in the area of the oven. Shut the oven door gently and try to avoid the temptation to keep opening the oven door to check until they are almost done. It could potentially spell disaster, trust me on that one.

Next up for baking this holiday season is Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls and red velvet cake, along with cream cheese filled pumpkin rolls!
Have a wonderful week.

2 comments:

Brigitte said...

I've heard about these jar cakes but I have never tried myself on one. Thanks for the instructions, I think I'll give it a try over Christmas.

Birgit said...

What a wonderful idea! A nice way to make 8 gifts at once :) I love your blog and your stitching!