Friday, June 4, 2010

Battle Hymn of the Republic



I'm baaaaaaack! I finally got around to finishing the BHotR, after several months of putting it off. So here you go. I am back where I started having a bunch of stuff backed up to frame, but hopefully HL will have some specials this summer.

School ended for both Jonathon and I the week before Memorial Day. I really enjoyed my students this year. Every year at the end of the year I "make" them write thank you notes--only we call them letters of gratitude- to two adults in the building for helping them get through middle school. It doesn't have to be a teacher necessairly, but just an adult who has made a connection to them. I always go through them sorting them and making sure they don't say something rude or inappropriate and have to redo the assignment. As usual there is always one that sticks out in your mind. This year one male student wrote a letter to the science teacher and I literally laughed out loud when I read it. The science teacher shows a video of a birth. One line in his letter referred to the video, and it went something like-- I will never forget the video of the live birth, that image is burned into my mind forever!

Jonathon did very well in school as usual. He participated in the school spelling bee this year and got 4th place with 46 kids participating. He tried out in his classroom, but then got stage fright and didn't want to do it, but I made him anyway and he was happy that he did. He also received rewards for his performance on the Kansas State Assessments.

Right now, he is busy with baseball and planning to run a 5K tomorrow with his friend. He also got x-box live last weekend. I resisted and resisted before finally giving in, so far, it has worked out okay, but he is spending way too much time playing video games! Of course I haven't been here a lot lately as I have had meetings with work, running here and there with my mom and getting some things taken care of. Next Monday and Tuesday should be the end of that.

Dan's work has picked up again after a long, slow winter. He worked twelve hours today, which will be nice on the checkbook balance.

I have started a LHN pattern, and of course I can't remember the name for the life of me. I am looking forward to be able to stitch and read stitching blogs and basically getting caught up this summer. I have been spending some time everyday getting some house project underway.

Have a great week and I hope life keeps you in stitches!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I know you are happy for the time away from school for a while. Hope you get lots of stitching done this summer! Enjoy your time off!

Vonna said...

I love your BHoR :) IT is so pretty!!!

My kids have been out 1 week now. We just got back from Florida. We had an awesome time, no it is to some hazy, lazy days of summer for us too!