Sunday, August 24, 2008

Not Much Going On

Well, not a lot is happening here in Kansas. Work is going well, just a one or two that can't seem to do what they are supposed to. Jonathon got started this week, so we are back to our weekly reading for AR and we are also hitting the flash cards pretty good. We have been doing that for some time now, and he is really starting to pick things up in the mulitplication facts department.

Today he had a friend and the neighbor kid playing with him. It wasn't too bad as they basically ran between our house and the neighbor's house for most of afternoon. I made them cupcakes, so the couple of passes they made through here consisted of wolfing down a dozen cupcakes between the three of them and several bottles of Gatorade.

Still not a lot on the stitching front. I tend to let other people dictate what I do and when I do it. Some day I am just going to put my foot down and say I am not doing anything but stitch. I did manage to read a novel during DEAR time this week. I finished it this morning on our ride home from Mass. I really never thought I would like the book as the movie previews didn't interest me, but "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" was a fairly good book. I think what made me think I wouldn't like is that I have a cousin who is Down's. I know when he was born we all got a crash course in Down's Syndrome. It was a total family effort and now he is a very high functioning adult. I guess living that part of the story was kind of a turn off for me. Most people don't realize the challenges that adults with Downs have, I mean my cousin is smart enough to know the things he is missing out on and thinks he can do everything anyone else his age can.. (like getting married and having a family), so I could relate all too well to that part of the book.
Anyway, I guess the real message that people could take away from the book, and I could certainly attest to is that people like my cousin and the girl in the book really add to your life and enrich it rather than being a burden.

I hope everyone has a great Monday. If you do I promise you can all have a three day weekend next week.

No comments: