Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Nineteen Years Ago Today....

at this time I was on my way to the airport heading for New Orleans. I was going to spend the first week of married life on a honeymoon there with my new husband of 2 and 1/2 hours. Today I really can't believe we have been married that long. Maybe it is because the flood last year continues to change our lives dramatically, and has made me stop to realize that I don't give us enough credit as a couple to go through what we have and will contine to face in the coming months.

We went back New Orleans three years later at Christmas time for another visit. It was much cooler temperature wise and just as much fun. About 5 years later we once again went back in December with another couple. We drove this time and had tons of fun. All four of us love to eat (and it is evident to the naked eye), so we ate bread pudding every day for five days where ever we ate we ordered bread pudding and compared them all. The winner was Elvis Presley's restaurant in Memphis, Tennessee the first place we ate on the trip down.

It was about six months after that I found out I was pregnant. After ten years of trying to get pregnant and 5 or 6 of those years spent going to the doctor 1,2, or 3 times a month. The first thing I did when I found out was grab my phone and call a little lace shop in the French Quarter and order a beautiful handmade christening gown. My friend Shelly knew we were going to ramp up the drugs and such in hopes of getting pregnant the next year tried in vain to talk me into to buying one that December, but I was scared to, afraid I might jinx the whole process. Luckily for me on the way out the door she stopped at the cash register and grabbed a business card and told me to put this away in case I needed it.

So when Hurricane Katrina hit I was so relieved that New Orleans wasn't affected. I spent my World Geography class time explaining to the kids about sea level, what the city was like and all. Then I came home and saw what had happened while I was at work. I cried every time I watched the news. Lately, I have been having the urge to go back and see the place again. Maybe year twenty will be the time to do that.

Have a great Tuesday.

1 comment:

Just Charming said...

I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. I just love the architecture! I hope you are able to make it back there. Take lots of pictures if you do.

Kathleen