Sunday, June 8, 2008

My First Blog Post


Let's see. Here I am on a cloudy, windy day in Kansas, just sort of looking for stuff to do. It isn't that I don't have a lot to do, it is just that I don't want to do it. I could do laundry, mop the floors, or clean out the wells to the basement windows, weed some places in the front yard, but yeah, well I don't want to do that.

A little about myself I teach eighth grade at a local middle school. All told the school probably has about 500 kids give or take a few. Most people always get a look on their face when you say you teach middle school. Sort of like eewww or "are you crazy", but hey some one has to do it. Generally, they aren't bad kids, just a little naughty. But they come and go every 52 minutes, and you can get along with everyone for 52 minutes. Unless they have stolen field corn from the science room and proceed to my class where they stick it up their nose and blow it back out. In that case before the 52 minutes is up you get to go to the time out room. But that rarely happens. And yes that is a true story.

My immediate family is pretty small. My husband, who farms, is eternally patient and levelheaded. He is also part of his family's farming operation. Right now that consists of just D and his brother. My son, who is nine, and is a nice mix between my personality and my husband's will be in the fourth grade next year. I am an only child. My husband is one of six, therefore, I thank God everyday I am an only child. We live in town. We used to live in the country, but really with kids it is just easier to live in town. Gasoline would have ate us up this summer running back and forth to ballgames, practices, basketball camp etc. It is also hard to be a kid and live so far from town. Most moms don't want to bring their kids nine miles out of town for a playdate. I wouldn't either. So everyday D goes off to the country to spend the day farming and J and I stay in town and have fun.

The above photo is of J getting ready to bat at his baseball game the other night. This is the first year the kids pitch. It seems to be a little imtimidating for our team right now as most of them are first year players. We are improving though.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Hi and welcome to blogging!

Thanks for stopping by my site - the museum in my post is the McKenna Children's Museum in New Braunfels, just up the road from San Antonio. It is a VERY cool place to be!

This has been our first year in PeeWee (kids pitch) and as a mom, I find it quite scary! You just never know where those balls are going to end up, you know?

I loved teaching 8th grade (math)...that is one of my favorite ages. They're too young to be seriously independent (still rely on parents for transportation) and they're old enough to get your sense of humor and sarcasm! :-)

stitchin schoolmarm said...

You are my first comment!